Renewing your insurance
Your insurance expires on 1 April 2019. The quickest and easiest way to renew your insurance is via this link renew online which has the added advantage of allowing you to pay your premium by debit or credit card (for which no additional charge will be made). If, however, you would like to renew via hard copy form and have mislaid yours – please print another one out from the downloads section and submit it to us as quickly as possible.
To access the secure online renewal site you will just need your:
- 16 digit renewal code printed on your Renewal of Cover Form
- BAR COUNCIL Membership Number (just the five numbers, no letter prefixes)
If you have any other queries about your renewal either call us on 020 7621 0405 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bar Mutual provides professional indemnity insurance to self-employed barristers in England & Wales.
All self-employed barristers are required by the Bar Standards Board to purchase their primary layer of professional indemnity insurance with Bar Mutual and Bar Mutual is obliged to provide them with professional indemnity insurance. Bar Mutual also provides professional indemnity insurance to single person entities that have been authorised by the Bar Standards Board and, on a discretionary basis, multi-person entities and alternative business structures that have been authorised or licensed by the Bar Standards Board.
Bar Mutual provides comprehensive professional indemnity insurance cover and an excellent claims handling service.
As a mutual insurance company owned by its members, one of Bar Mutual’s central objectives is to provide professional indemnity insurance at a price that is fair and reasonable. Generating profits for distribution to shareholders is not one of its objectives.
Control of Bar Mutual’s affairs rests with its Board of Directors. The Board is composed of non-executive self-employed barristers and two executives (the Chief Executive Officer and the Chief Financial Officer) from the management company, to which the day to day management of Bar Mutual is outsourced. The Board is responsible for setting Bar Mutual’s strategies and policies and overseeing the performance of the executives.
Bar Mutual’s executive functions are outsourced to Bar Mutual Management Company, a subsidiary company of Thomas Miller Holdings Limited.
- New auditor: BDO becomes new auditor for Bar Mutual following its merger with Moore Stephens. View notice
Bar Mutual fact file
- Bar Mutual was established in 1988.
- Bar Mutual insures over 13,500 self-employed barristers and Bar Standards Board-regulated entities.
- The minimum level of cover provided by Bar Mutual is £500,000 plus defence costs, each and every claim. The maximum is £2,500,000 plus defence costs, each and every claim.
- All Members of Bar Mutual renew their professional indemnity insurance on 1 April each year.
- Premiums are transparently set in accordance with a rating schedule published each year.
- Calculation of the premium payable by each Member results in an automatic limit of cover, as shown in the table below. Higher limits of cover up to £2,500,000 can be purchased for an additional premium.
|Basic Contribution||Automatic Limit of Cover|
|£100 - £399||£500,000|
|£400 - £599||£1,000,000|
|£600 - £799||£1,500,000|
|£800 - £999||£2,000,000|
Contact us now to find out how we can help.
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) compliance