Talk to us and find out how we can help.
We provide comprehensive professional indemnity insurance cover alongside exceptional claims handing and service.
Professional indemnity insurance
Professional indemnity insurance can offer protection to self-employed barristers in England & Wales if a client claims you’ve made a mistake, been negligent or offered poor advice.
Bar Mutual insurance is on hand for when things don’t go to plan.
Professional indemnity insurance is required by the Bar Standards Board, Bar Mutual also provides professional indemnity insurance to single person entities that have been authorised by the Bar Standards Board and, on a discretionary basis, multi-person entities and alternative business structures that have been authorised or licensed by the Bar Standards Board.
Bar Mutual provides cover for:
- Civil liabilities arising from the Insured Practice of its Members
- Defending applications for Wasted Costs Orders
- Defending complaints made to, or raised by, the Bar Standards Board where their subject matter has given rise to a civil liability that remains outstanding, or could do so
- Complaints to the Legal Ombudsman in which compensation is sought
- Claims by solicitors for their fees under approved CFAs
- The cover is subject to the full terms and conditions set out in Bar Mutual’s Terms of Cover and Rules
- The cover extends to claims brought in any jurisdiction, provided the provisions of the Terms of Cover are met
|Basic Contribution||Automatic Limit of Cover|
|£100 - £399||£500,000|
|£400 - £599||£1,000,000|
|£600 - £799||£1,500,000|
|£800 - £999||£2,000,000|
The basic contribution shown above is excluding Insurance Premium Tax.
The insurance cover provided by Bar Mutual is set out in the Terms of Cover (reference should also be made to the Rules). The Terms of Cover are reviewed frequently to ensure that they continue to meet the needs of Bar Mutual’s Members.
Applying to join Bar Mutual is a quick and simple process.
Barristers starting self-employed practice must submit an Application for Membership and Insurance Form which is available on the downloads page of this website. It can be completed electronically and returned by email or printed out, completed and returned by post or email to the Bar Mutual (firstname.lastname@example.org). The Managers will then process the application and send a debit note to the barrister. A Cover Note is issued after the premium has been paid.
All Members renew their cover on 1 April.
Why Bar Mutual for your professional indemnity insurance?
As a mutual insurance company owned by its members, one of Bar Mutual’s central objectives is to provide professional indemnity insurance at a price that is fair and reasonable. With no shareholders to generate profit for, premiums are transparent and fair.